on The Eclectic Woman Show
Thursday May 26, 2011, 7:30pm
- Kelly McFarling - Vocals, Banjo
- Jonathan Kirchner- Upright Bass
- Jonathan Moldover- Guitar
- Andrew Laubacher- Drums, Percussion
Homegrown and haunting, Kelly McFarling's voice spirals powerfully, and progressively over a bed of old timey instrumentation. She is from Atlanta, GA, where she learned to sing in church choirs and baseball stadiums, and learned to write through the stories of Flannery O' Connor and Toni Morrison. She has since wandered out West, where she can be found in the back rooms of San Francisco bars plucking her Banjo and singing siren songs. Dubbed 'original rhythm and Bluegrass,' her songs are inspired by hard truths and transitions, with bold honest lyrics and authentic melodies that stay with you long after the song is over. McFarling's outgoing and adventurous spirit comes through in her lyrics, her live performances, and in the music's indulgence in elements outside its clear influences of folk, old time, blues and country. Using her distinct percussive style of clawhammer banjo to back up her rich voice, she pays homage to her southern roots while giving them a new home in her original sound. Her live performances are versatile and have earned her a rapidly growing and loyal fan base in the Bay Area. She can perform in intimate house concerts, and fill rock clubs with the sound of her full band, featuring rich upright bass, perfectly placed percussion, and lush slide guitar. Songs are to be taken whole heartedly, preferable on the shirt, outside of sleeves. They accompany a sense of longing, nostalgia, and the urge to sit down with your oldest friends, or your newest love. The grass is blue, the moon is shiny. Drink up darlin' its homebrew.
[reprinted with permission]
- May 25th - Williamsburg, VA - TBA
- May 26th - Charlottesville, VA - WTJU Eclectic Woman show. ON the air at 7:30 pm.
- May 27th - Chapel Hill, NC - The Cave - 9pm - with PWolf and Avi and Puritan Rodeo.
- May 28th - Raleigh, NC - House Concert BBQ - RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org for address and info
- May 29th - New Bern, NC - House Concert - RSVP to email@example.com for address and info
- May 31st - Atlanta, GA - Eddie's Attic - doors at 6:30 - show at 8pm - with Pwolf and Avi
Celebrating the release of her Debut CD: Distractible Child